Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Snowy Day in Stockholm [Part 6]

On my second day in Stockholm I headed out into the city at 10 o'clock. As I made my first steps outside it became clear that I would not have the same weather as yesterday. The skies very moody and dark and snow began to fall. During my journey through the city it intensified and by the end of the day I was went and cold. I did manage to see a lot of things on that day. In this post I will be sharing the sights from East Stockholm. The city is situated on many islands and is connected by a lot of bridges, so there is a lot to see and explore.


My walking tour started in Djurgarden which is an island in central Stockholm. Djurgarden is home to historical buildings and monuments, museums, galleries, the amusement park Grona Lund, the open-air museum Skansen, the small residential area Djurgardsstaden, yacht harbors, and extensive stretches of forest and meadows.



The Nordic Museum was the first stop on my walking tour. Its a museum dedicated to the cultural history and ethnography of Sweden from the early modern period (in Swedish history, it is said to begin in 1520) to the contemporary period.



The museum is a beautiful building with a wonderful park surrounding it. Of course the snow gave everything a special look. To the left side was the Skansen open-air museum, which was my main goal for the day, but I didn't get to visit it because of the intensifying snow. I instead explored the sights close to the Nordic museum all the while aware of the weather. I needed to make sure to be back in the old town before night. Also there weren't any people here, so It got lonely pretty quickly.










In close proximity to the Nordic museum is also The Vasa Museum. The museum displays the only almost fully intact 17th century ship that has ever been salvaged, the 64-gun warship Vasa that sank on her maiden voyage in 1628. The Vasa Museum opened in 1990 and, according to the official web site, is the most visited museum in Scandinavia. 






I made my way back and as I entered the Old Town of Stockholm, dusk began to settle and I was ready to explore the wonderful buildings and narrow streets. More on that in the next part...


End of Part Six
To be continued...



-

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mersad as always... how I wish to go there

    Have you grabbed your award jet?
    Take a look at: https://abcwednesday.com/2018/01/08/grab-your/

    Have a splendid ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (ABC-W-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/22-a

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much history here. So many yesterdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing place. Thanks for sharing awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. truly beautiful. love the museum and the pop of blue gate and pop of green man on statue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gray, flat light produces photo of a special quality. Looks like you had a long walk out in cold weather. The Vasa Museum must not have allowed photography or you would have included a shot of the 17th Century ship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an adventure for you and us through your excellent photography!

    Happy Wednesday to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gloriously beautiful city! I loved seeing it in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this tour. It does look a little cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the snow--and such a pretty, historic town. Just beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots! Good thing that the fellow on horse was pointing the way to a nice warm pub...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the sky looks heavy with a promise of snow or ice. You were still able to get some lovely images all the same.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/01/ill-never-be-cotton-farmer.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much awesomeness to see and experience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post. So many beautiful sights there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the snow seems to dress the city and make it even prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. I'm visiting from 'what karen sees'

    Love your photography.

    I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're a dedicated photographer to brave the snow and cold for these images, but your effort paid off with some beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stockholm has always held that special place in my Heart. The mesmerizing attractions, vibrant nightlife and rich history of this place have attracted me since my school days! I was always day dreaming about the plans of visiting this place! Thanks to the Sweden Visa team I Got the Visa with ease and now I am travelling to Stockholm,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Your blog has given me all the reasons to plan a Stockholm excursion. Luckily, I have my Sweden visa UKSweden visa UK.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.